Sunday, December 21, 2008

Happy Birthday to our Avery, December 21

My thoughts on Avery Lynn Copeland....it seems that this week in December over the last two years has been consumed with thoughts of you. My heart aches to remember the details leading up to your birth and consequently your death. This will always be the moment that I will remember as the day our family changed. Good things came of your death as well as the pain of your death. I have never relied more on your dad and we have never been closer in all of our marriage. We felt the presence of heaven around us, including the love from Heavenly Father who was very aware of our pain. I remember being consumed with love, first for you, second for my Father in Heaven, and third for my good husband.
It seems all those weeks on bed rest we came to know one another. I truly fell in love with you as my daughter. I often wonder two years later what you would have been like. What would have been your favorite color? Would you have been a girly girl or would you have been more logical like your older sister? Would you have loved the things I imagine you would love? I see you with dark hair and dark eyes. Eyes that are pure and full of goodness. I always think you would have been the one to pull me along. My little miracle reminder of what is good in this world. However, it seems you are that in my life. You are the one that pulls me along. You are the reminder of where I want to end up. I cannot wait to see you again and have you run into my arms and hold you like I have craved to hold you. I feel like I will know you, as you are always in my thoughts.

I don't know if I will ever be able to feel the love that Heavenly Father had for me that day again. I often wish I could feel it on demand. It was more of a physical feeling that I have ever felt before. One where you can feel arms around you, where fear is replaced with peace. Where trust comes easily. You just know you will be alright. I remember the long night before you were born, when we knew you would pass away right as you came into this world the next morning. The intense saddness knowing that the kicks I felt would be the last life I felt from you. That in a few short hours you would be still. My heart hurts so badly remembering this because it is such a real moment in my life. I remember emotionally handing you over that night, back to our Father in Heaven so that when I really did have to see your spirit leave you it would be easier. I felt peace knowing you would be taken care of. I remember the comfort in allowing the Father's will to be done, and no longer fighting the outcome. No matter how bad it hurts.

I have been lucky in love. I don't even know how to understand this blessing that was given to me. My husband is my blessing. I feel God gave me Cameron to prepare me for this moment in my life. I know that I could not have gone through this with anyone but my pure good husband. The events that happend and the strength we had to draw from each other is too sacred to me to post for everyone to read, but I truly know he loves me and we will be more bonded together because of you Avery.


So here's to you Avery....I promise to live a better life each year so we can be together as a family in the Celestial Kingdom. I won't let your life be in vain. We will learn the lessons your life was meant to teach us all.

Only a moment you stayed but what an imprint your footsteps have left upon our hearts.

I love you baby girl...Happy Birthday.





22 comments:

Bethany said...

Anne, I'm still so grateful for your example of faith, strength and love. You learned a great deal from this experience, and with that, others learn a great deal from you.

Love and miss you.

Karen said...

Anne,
What a sweet and inspiring tribute to Avery. You are such and strong and amazing person. All of your children are lucky to have you as their mom.
I was sitting here having a bad day feeling sad. Your post put things into perspective and helped me to remember what is important. Thanks!
Merry Christmas. I loved your card!!!

Danielle said...

Annie,
I have learned so much from you in the time we have known each other. Watching you deal with this experience showed me what a great example of faith and love you are. I am working on Avery's book-I really want to have it done for you for Christmas. I love you girlie!

Jaxon said...

that was nice.

Kaylene said...

You made me cry, what a sweet tribute to your little baby and a great gift to give to your family. That of your testimony of Eternal Families and our Heavenly Father and his love for us in our trials and always. My thoughts are with you and Cameron.
P.S.
My friend gave me this plaque just last night for Christmas, and it is so fitting it reads:

When someone you loves becomes a memory, the memory becomes a treasure.

Jules said...

happy happy birthday avery!!! so fun to send pink & purple balloons up to you in heaven tonight!!! I did notice that 1 pink balloon stayed behind, way up in the entryway-- you just wanted to hang around a little longer!! We love you & your wonderful family... can't wait to meet you someday!

Emily said...

Anne, I honestly don't know how you handled that. It is so nice to know that you'll be able to raise her in the next life. I don't know how I would cope without this knowledge.

Our thoughts are with you!

Lindsay and Mike said...

Anne,

You are such an example to all of us! This was such a sweet post!

Love,
Lindsay (Skousen) Storrs

Kim said...

Anne,

Thank you for that beautiful post. I will always remember Avery's funeral as a very special, spiritual, and uplifting experience. Her short life was truly a gift to us all.

Love you!

Jenny said...

Love this Anne..I can't even imagine the pain of that day..I thought last night about that as we let off the balloons..also, as I watched Spencer run around that Avery would be exactly his age..It's amazing how the time moves on but I know she is looking down and is not missing a moment of your family's life..Thanks for posting this..you are always so great at expressing your emotions and feelings in a wonderful way..I admire that!
Jenny

The Great Lakes of NY said...

Oh Anne, thanks for sharing your beautiful feelings. My heart is filled. I hope your holiday is wonderful. Michele

Kristi said...

I love you so much Annie, you are the mother of all mothers. Avery pushes me to be better every day.

Merry Christmas!

Corrigan Clan said...

I'm so glad you wrote this down. I'm sure Avery read it and your posterity will be so thankful for your testimony. I am excited to meet her as I'm sure you are too. You are an amazing mom Anne.

p.s. I love Jaxon's comment. He is adorable as well.

steph said...

What a beautiful and heartfelt tribute to Avery. Even though it has been two years I feel like I need to do something for you! Luckily I know enough about you to know you are strong! Stronger than you realize and Cameron is just as lucky to have you!!!

emily said...

Oh Anne. You are so beautiful. thank you for that post...it really affected me. It brought be to tears. How special you are to have that little Avery even for a few moments. If I could just have a fraction of spirituality that you have. Thanks for your example. Your seem so happy with your family. Keep in touch. Emily

Six Girls and One Boy said...

Anne, Wow, I'm so touched by what you have written. I'm in tears because I have a daughter of my own now and I can only imagine what pain you felt and still feel often. But what a strong testimony you have and thank you for sharing this. By the way, I don't know if you even are familiar with who this is, but it's Laura's sister Joyce Garner's daughter, Heather Williams. ANyways, sorry to be sneaky but I found your link on Amy's blog. I don't know if I could ever go through what you and Cameron have gone through, but what examples you are to me. That was truly beautiful. Thank you.

Love, Heather

Wardell Family said...

Thank you for your post Anne. I am sorry I hadn't read this before tonight. I appreciate your example. Sweet Avery has touched many lives through you and your strength.

Juli said...

Oh my gosh Anne. You have me bawling like a baby. That was so touching and heart felt. You are so amazing.

Erica Johnston said...

You're a beautiful woman and I'm so glad I've had the privelage of having you in my life for so long.

Mike'n'Amy said...

There you go making me cry again. Thanks for sharing.

julie said...

Anne,
I must agree with everyone else, you are such a great example of strength and faith. It was a beautiful post, and I hope you don;t mind me peeking at your blog. You have such a cute family. :)
Love, Julie (Schill)

Natty bee Seely said...

That was so beautifully put. I am so glad I was able to read it and see a little more into your eternal experience. Love you.