Sunday, October 12, 2008

Triathlon 2008

In the last two years I have spent a total of 5 months on bed rest (2 months of that in a hospital) 10 months of throwing up, two delivered babies, and quite a few months recovery. Needless to say my body needed some serious physical activity. So I finally agreed to my husbands long long long time request to do a triathlon with him. If you know me, I am not a natural born athlete. However, I was finally postpartum fat enough to do something intense. So for the last few months I have been training my butt off....,I wish literally! We have been running, and biking, and taking swim lessons to get ready for this. This was also Cameron's first triathlon. The date was set for September 13, as many of you know Hurricane Ike put a small or rather large damper on our plans. It went right though the route of the race! So the race was postponed a week to the 20th. We drove the 2+ hours down to the race site on Friday night (19th) and stayed in a hotel so we could be well rested for our 6 am call time. I was so darn nervous I could barely sleep. I just keep feeling like I might drown in the lake! Needless to say swimming is not my strong suit. Well without going into too many details we had a blast. It was one of the darn hardest physical thing I have done but we finished and that was the goal. It sort of got me addicted to the adrenaline and we plan on doing many more in the future!

Here are some pictures from the race... not my prettiest moments to say the least!







Before the race...I was so nervous I was physically shaking.
Cameron and I before the race!
I had just crossed the finish line here!
We are done! Such a rush!
The staging area for bikes, you can see the lake we swam in behind the bikes. The water was a perfect temperature. Thanks heavens because we did not want to have to wear wetsuits. They are kind of like cheating in my book.



12 comments:

Juli said...

That is awesome! I really want to do one as well. Good for you guys!

Danielle said...

You are a warrior, way to go !

Keri said...

Way to go Anne. You are awesome. You have every right to have fall funk. You have been through so much Anne and you are so strong. I admire you. I really do. Tell yourself every fall you get to get a new waredrobe, maybe that will help.

Natalie said...

Good for you guys! You are inpspiring! Maybe someday... we'll come watch you! haha. I can't believe we still haven't met little Mason. He is getting so big! Chew on his cheeks a little for me, okay? Love you guys!

Jules said...

YOU ARE MY HERO!!!!!!! Seriously Annie, you rock! Wish I could have/would have done it with you! And you're lookin' pretty hot too!

Wardell Family said...

YOU go girl! I am seriously impressed. Maybe one day I will be so brave-after I get out of my post prego body funk. Lookin' good too btw!

McIntire Madness said...

I loved the catch up! Blogs have been such a great way to keep in touch with friends who live all over the place. Matt and I are glad to see all is going well! Anyway, congrats on the triathlon. I did my first one this fall and loved it.
Beth

Emily said...

Way to go Anne! I would NEVER to a triathlon, no matter how much my husband begged me! I am too big of a baby! However, I would like to loose some of this post baby belly I've got going on . . .

www.emilysmusings.com

Eric and Amy said...

Way to go Anne! That is definitely quite the accomplishment and one to be very proud of!!!

Becca G said...

I am so proud of you! That is a really big deal and you are looking FAB! Keep up the good work...who knows someday maybe I'll join you...I know very scary thought!

Karen said...

Anne,
I am so proud of you!!! I hope you got a t-shirt for the race that you can wear around so that everyone can see how tough you are.
I enter races just for the t-shirts to wear to the gym!!!

Katie Lila said...

Rock on chicka! I cou;dn't be more proud if it were my own blood. You look so hard core.